Apricot Hot Cross BunsPRINT RECIPE
Recipe created for us by Jessica of Daily Gluttony
- 1 ½ cups warm milk
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 60g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 4 ½ cups of flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups dried mixed fruit
- 2/3 cup Barker's Apricot Jam
- 1/3 cup cold water
- butter to serve
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180°C.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Combine the milk mixture, 1/3 cup Apricot Jam, butter and egg in a jug and whisk to combine. Combine 4 cups flour, salt, mixed spice, cinnamon, remaining sugar and mixed fruit in a bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre, pour in the milk mixture and use a wooden spoon to stir until just combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and place in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Punch the dough down with your fist to remove excess air. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 16 even pieces and shape each portion into a ball. Arrange dough on an oven proof pan, leaving a 1cm gap between each ball. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until dough has risen 2cm.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining flour and water together until it forms a smooth paste. Place in a small plastic bag and snip off the end. Pipe a continuous line down the centre of each row of buns, lengthways and widthways, to form crosses. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 160°C and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. The buns are ready when they sound hollow when tapped on the base.
- Turn onto a wire rack. Place the remaining Apricot Jam in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until jam melts. Brush hot jam over the buns. Serve warm with butter and lashings of jam!