Best Scones EverPRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 10mins
Cook Time: 15mins
Recipe and imagery by @amie.milton
Best Scones Ever – Amie Milton helped us celebrate Mother’s Day this year by making her Mumma’s favourite shared treat, scones with Barker’s Raspberry Jam and cream. Could this traditional combo get any better?
- 3 metric cups self-raising flour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 250ml thickened cream
- 250ml soda water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- Optional: 1 tbs extra cream for brushing the tops of the scones
- Barker's Raspberry Jam
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 Degrees Celcius. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and sugar and pour in the soda water, cream, vanilla, and pinch of salt.
- Using a butter knife or palette knife mix until the dough comes together. Careful not to over mix the dough in this step.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured bench and knead gently until the dough comes together. Do not over-knead the dough, it is ok for the dough to be roughly mixed, the less you knead it the fluffier the scones will be.
- Press the dough out to approx 2-3cm thick slab. Cut out 12 scones using a 6cm scone cutter. I used the brilliant Pyrex Medium Scone Cutter with Frilled Edges. Cut the scones as close as possible, the less re-rolling of the dough the better.
- Place the scones just touching on the lined baking tray and brush the tops with cream.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with my favourite Raspberry Jam from Barker's and whipped cream.