Fig and Cranberry Hot Cross Buns stuffed with Mixed Berry CompotePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Image by Lauren Marino (@lm_nutrition)
- 1 sachet active dry yeast (7g)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups luke warm milk/milk alternative
- 4¼ cups plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1 cup dried craisins/cranberries
- ¾ cup Barker’s of New Zealand Mixed Berry Compote
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- Place the yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar and the milk in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. When the mixture starts to foam, the yeast is active.
- Add the flour, spices, oil, egg, fruits and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 6-8 minutes or until elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 15 pieces and roll into balls. Use your thumb to press a hole into the centre of the bun, not breaking the dough but making a deep hole. Spoon approximately ½-1 tsp of compote into the hole, do not over fill. Press the edges of the dough together so the compote is buried into the centre of the bun. Some compote may leak during this process, just ensure the dough is well joined so no compote leaks when baking.
- Arrange the dough balls in a lightly greased 30cm by 20cm rectangle tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the extra flour and the ½ cup of water in a bowl and stir to combine. Place in a zip lock back and snip a small bit of corner off. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
- While the hot cross buns are baking, make the glaze. Boil the water on a stove top, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. When the buns come out of the oven, brush the buns with the glaze immediately. Enjoy!