Homemade Crumpets with CompotePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Photo by Evan Kiddey
Evan has used a 8-10 cm round cake mould which can be found at most specialist cake shops or at catering supply outlet
- 3 2/3 cups high grade flour
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- 2 ½ tsp yeast
- 1Tbsp sugar
- 2 ¼ cup warm water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup milk
- Barker's Strawberry & Apple Compote
- Mix together flour, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix yeast, sugar and warm water; leave for 10 mins.
- In another bowl mix and dissolve baking soda in the milk.
- Mix the contents of the three bowls together to form a smooth batter. Set aside somewhere warm until the batter doubles in size, approx 45 mins.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat; lightly oil the pan.
- Using a 8-10 cm round cake mould* pour approx 1/4 cup of batter into mould.
- Cook until bubbles on top have popped and starts to set around the edges. Carefully lift mould off (it will be hot) and flip crumpet. Cook for about a minute or until the top looks golden and delicious. Set aside and repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serve with fruit compote and maple syrup!