Lemon curd Mille FeuillePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Image by Sophie Hansen (@locallovely)
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 20 mins
This is a really simple but super delicious and pretty dessert. The raspberries and gold dust
(completely optional but fun!) make it feel extra special but in essence it’s more of an assembly job than a complicated recipe.
Make up the different elements in advance, then right before serving, assemble and pop on a pretty stand or platter.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 pot Barker's New Zealand Lemon Curd
- 1 punnet raspberries
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1 tsp edible gold dust (available at specialty cooking stores)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Place the milk in a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean right down the middle and scrape the seeds into the milk, pop the beans in there as well. Bring just to boiling point and remove from heat. Set aside to infuse for 15-30 minutes.
- Reheat milk. Whisk the egg, sugar and cornflour together until pale, pour a little of the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisk. Gradually add remaining milk, whisking all the time. Wash and dry the saucepan, return the milk/egg mixture to it and place over low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for five minutes or until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a jar and cover with plastic wrap to avoid a ‘skin’ forming on the custard’s surface. Pop in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Lay the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut into nine rectangles, around 5cm wide and 10-15cm long.
- Place pastry strips on the prepared tray, leaving a little space between each one. Brush with the beaten egg and pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed up.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold the cream and creme patissiere together.
- Take one piece of the cooked pastry and spread with a little of the cream mixture, then top with another piece of pastry, spread this with a good amount of beautiful Barker's New Zealand lemon curd.
- Top with a final piece and a little more cream mixture. Dot with raspberries and finish with a little sprinkle of the edible gold dust.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and mixture. Serve immediately.