Lemon Curd Sponge CakePRINT RECIPE
If you’re pressed for time purchase an unfilled double layer sponge cake instead.
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ pot of Barker's Lemon Curd – to fill
- mixed berries – to serve and fill
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease 2 x deep, 20cm round cake tins and line bases with baking paper.
- Sift flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt together three times to aerate.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed for 6 minutes, or until mixture is thick, pale and the volume has tripled.
- Gradually sift flour mixture over egg mixture while simultaneously folding in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Divide mixture between the two prepared tins. To level mixture, gently spin tins on kitchen benchtop.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cakes have shrunk away from the sides slightly and spring back when gently touched.
- Turn out on to baking paper-lined wire racks. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.
- Using an electric beater or mixer beat the cream cheese, butter, Lemon Curd and icing sugar until pale and creamy.
- When the cake is cooled, top one half with ½ a pot of Lemon Curd and a selection of mixed berries. Place the remaining half on top and place in the fridge to set for ten minutes.
- Remove the cake from the fridge, top with the Lemon Curd frosting, decorate with mixed berries and serve.