Lemon & Flora Layer CakePRINT RECIPE
*recipe created for us by Iron Chef Shellie
- 75g cornflour
- 75g plain flour
- 75g self-raising flour
- 6 x 60g eggs, at room temperature
- 225g caster sugar
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g freshly whipped cream
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 300g Barker's Lemon Curd, plus extra to serve
- food-grade flowers, to decorate
- Grease 3 x 20cm round layer cake tins and line bases with baking paper. Sift flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt together three times to aerate.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed for 9 minutes, or until mixture is thick, pale and tripled in volume.
- Gradually sift flour mixture over egg mixture while simultaneously folding in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Divide mixture between prepared tins. To level batter, gently spin tins on kitchen counter. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cakes have shrunk away from the sides slightly and spring back when gently touched. Turn out on to baking paper-lined wire racks. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.
- To make the lemon cheesecake filling, use an electric mixer to whip cream cheese, butter, icing sugar for two minutes. Add in Lemon Curd and beat for another 3 minutes until pale and fluffy (be careful to not over beat, or the mixture will go runny). Fold in whipped cream until combined. Put cheesecake into a piping bag with a wide, plain nozzle tip.
- To assemble, place down the first layer of cake onto a plate or cake stand. Pipe little dollops all the way around the top of the layer, and spoon some Lemon Curd around the top. Carefully place the second layer on top and repeat the piping/lemon curd process. Finally, place the third layer on top, repeat the piping process, and decorate with flowers.