Lemon Mascarpone Pound CakePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Image by Sarah (@buttermilkpantry)
Makes 12 cakes
Things to note:
- It is key that you do not overheat the mixture as beating too much air into it may result in the cake being too light and drying out as it bakes.
- Please do not do what I did in the video and add all 3 eggs in at once. You want to add them in one at a time to ensure it incorporates easily and more evenly.
- The recipe of the lemon syrup is enough for all 12 cakes so be sure to use it all. The cake can absorb all the liquid so don’t be shy.
- I have provided 2 ways to fill the cakes with lemon curd. If you wish to have more filling you can opt for the version that doesn’t utilise any piping bag. It will allow you to control how much filling you can add into it. Reason being that as the crumb is quite tight, it will be hard to pipe it with an abundant amount of filling.
- To store the cakes, you can fill them, frost them and keep them at room temperature for up to a day or store in the fridge. Please bring them back up to room temperature before serving. Please note that the crust will naturally lose its crunch once it is frosted.
- 260g caster sugar
- 265g unsalted butter, softened
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 265g ap flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75g mascarpone
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 2tbsp lemon juice
Lemon Mascarpone Frosting
- 175g mascarpone
- 150g Barker's Lemon Curd
METHODTo make the pound cakes:
- Butter and flour a 12 hole cupcake tin and set aside.
- Rub sugar, salt and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with your fingers until the sugar looks moist.
- Add unsalted butter and beat for 2 mins on medium until it looks creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to ensure that they are homogeneous before adding the next egg.
- Beat on medium for 2 mins until mixture looks lighter in colour. Scrape bowl to ensure even incorporation.
- Mix flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl and add it to your butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Distribute your batter into the 12 holes (you should have enough for just 12 cakes).
- Bake at 180C for 22-24mins until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Immediately brush with lemon syrup (recipe below)
- Let cool in the tin for 5mins before removing from tin and letting it cool fully on a wire rack.
- Top with lemon mascarpone frosting (recipe below) and chopped roasted pistachios.
To make the lemon syrup:
- Mix caster sugar with boiling water until sugar has dissolves.
- Add lemon juice and set aside until needed.
To make the lemon mascarpone frosting:
- Whisk both ingredients together until smooth and holds a soft peak.