Lemony Eton MessPRINT RECIPE
*recipe created for us by Iron Chef Shellie
- 1 pot Barker's Lemon Curd
- 600ml whipping cream
- 6 Tbsp icing sugar
- 125g blueberries
- 3 large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
Make the meringues:
- Preheat oven to 120°C or 100°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking sheets with grease-proof paper.
- Beat egg whites using an electric whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition until all the sugar has been added.
- Continue to whisk the meringue for a few minutes more until it is very thick and glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Fit a piping bag with a large, plain or star nozzle and fill the piping bag with the meringue mixture; twisting the top closed. Pipe small dollops, slightly spaced apart on the prepared trays.
- Bake for about 1 hour, swapping the trays over at 30 minutes. They are ready when they can be lifted off the paper in one piece. If the bottom comes away they aren't ready yet.
To assemble the Eton Mess:
- Add icing sugar to the cream and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add a layer of meringues to the bottom of four glasses. Top with a spoonful or two of Lemon Curd, a few blueberries and some cream. Repeat until you have reached the top of the glass, and crush a meringue on top. Serve immediately.