Oven-baked donuts with Butterscotch Caramel saucePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Imagery by Sophie Hansen (@locallovely)
Donuts are such a treat, but can also be a pain to
make at home – all that messing around with frying and
hot oil. That’s why these oven-baked ones are so great
and really delicious! Especially when dipped into or served
drizzled with Barker’s Butterscotch Caramel Sauce!
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk
- 7g instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 80g butter, butter
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 bottle Barker’s Luscious Butterscotch Caramel Sauce
- 60g butter
- 1/4 (55g) cup extra caster sugar, for dusting
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine the warm milk and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Mix together and set aside for the yeast to activate and become bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the sauce and dusting sugar!) and knead for about five minutes. If kneading by hand, combine ingredients in a bowl, stir to just combine then turn out to a work surface and knead by hand for five minutes or until soft and shiny.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic or a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Line a couple of baking trays with paper.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out so you have a rectangle about 3-4cm thick. Cut dough into donuts if you have a donut cutter! Otherwise use a scone cutter or even the rim of a glass, so you have about 10 in total.
- Place your donuts on the baking trays, cover with a tea towel and leave for about 40 minutes to puff up again. Preheat oven to 200C.
- Bake donuts for about 10 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Towards the end of the baking time, melt the butter and dig out a pastry brush. Mix the cinnamon with the caster sugar and place in a shallow bowl.
- The minute your donuts come out of the oven, brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar. Serve warm with a good drizzling of Barker’s Butterscotch Caramel Sauce. Yum!