Red Berry TartPRINT RECIPE
Prep Time: 20 min (plus refrigeration time)
Cooking: Time: 50 min
If you don’t have time to make your own pastry use frozen sheets of short pastry. Be sure to defrost on the kitchen bench before use.
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 125g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp iced water, approximately
- 1/3 cup Barker's Three Berry Jam
- ¾ cup smooth ricotta
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Barker's Three Berry Jam
- 2 punnets strawberries, hulled, and quartered if large
For the pastry:
- Pre heat oven to 180ºC.
- In a food processor, process the flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add enough iced water to make the mix come together. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Grease a 12.5cm x 35cm (or 24cm round) loose based tart tin.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets baking paper and ease into tin. Trim excess and tidy with your fingers to fit neatly. Prick base with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place tin on an oven tray. Cover pastry with baking paper, fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking paper and weights. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Spread jam over base, cook for 2 minutes.
For the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Pour into pastry case and cook for 20 minutes or until ricotta is set. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Using a small saucepan, bring the orange juice and jam to the boil, stirring until smooth. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the strawberries and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove strawberries from syrup with a slotted spoon, cool slightly and place on tart. Retain syrup for serving.
- Serve slices of tart with syrup.