Sponge Kisses with Cream and Luscious Strawberry SaucePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Imagery by Sophie Hansen (@locallovely)
Light, delicate, easy and so delicious; these little mini
sponge cakes are perfect for pretty Spring afternoon teas or
anytime you want something easy and yummy to share.
SERVES 4 – 6
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 10 mins
Tip: The cakes will last for a couple of days,unfilled, in an airtight container.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (105g) self-raising fl our
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornfl our
- 1/2 cup (125mls) pouring cream
- 1 bottle of Barker’s Luscious Strawberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line twos baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time and continue beating until you have a thick meringue-consistency.
- Add the yolks, one at a time, and beat for another few minutes. Sift in flour and cornflour and fold gently together.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoons (depending on how big you want your sponge kisses to be!), drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the trays, leaving a few centimetres between each one as they will spread.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until pale golden in colour. Transfer your little cakes to a wire cooling rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, whisk the cream until heavy and thick. To serve, sandwich the cakes with cream then Barker’s Luscious Strawberry Sauce.