Vegan Chocolate and Strawberry TartPRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Image by Anthea (@rainbownourishments)
Prep Time 20 min
Total Time 35 min + 5 hr setting time
* Only use the thick part of cream which has floated to the top of the can. This will happen to coconut cream when has no additives or emulsifiers in it.
- ½ cup (80g) gluten-free flour blend or plain flour
- ½ cup (50g) almond meal
- ¼ cup (55g) melted vegan chocolate
- 2 tbsp (50g) Barker’s New Zealand Strawberry Jam
- 2 tbsp (30mL) The Chia Co. Chia Oil
- 2 tbsp (24g) The Chia Co. Ground Chia Seeds (or ground 2 tbsp whole chia seeds using a mortar & pestle)
- 1 ½ cups (195g) raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hrs
- ½ cup (120mL) canned coconut cream*
- 1/3 cup (80mL) coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup (100mL) rice malt syrup or maple syrup, to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp (12g) The Chia Co. Black Chia Seeds
- 2 tsp (8mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (100g) Barker’s New Zealand Strawberry Jam
- 2 tsp (5g) beetroot powder (or a beetroot latte powder if you cannot find 100% beetroot powder)
- Fresh berries, jam and chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base and sides of a heart-shaped cake or tart tin (we used a 19cmx19cm tin).
- To make the base: add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined. If the mixture is dry, add a tablespoon of water and mix until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the heart-shaped tin. Press the mixture against the sides and bottom to form a 1cm base. Prick the bottom of the base with a fork so it doesn’t puff up in the oven.
- Bake the base in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the filing: Drain the cashews and add the cashews, coconut cream, ¼ cup (60mL) of the coconut oil and sweetener to a blender. Blend until it is as smooth as possible.
- Divide the cashew mixture into two bowls. Add the chia seeds and vanilla extract to one bowl. Add the remaining coconut oil, strawberry jam and beetroot powder to the second bowl. Stir each mixture until combined.
- Pour the vanilla chia mixture into the tart base and smooth the top. Set it aside in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- When the vanilla layer is dry to the touch, pour the pink strawberry layer on top and smooth the top. Set it aside in the freezer for at least 4 hours or in the fridge overnight.
- The filling is set when it is dry to the touch and doesn’t jiggle. Decorate the tart as desired and serve. Store the tart in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.